After giving up on Damo because I really didn't want anything that required actual thought, I decided to watch Autumn Tale
, a charming tale of quasi-incestual love made by the wonderful people who brought us Spring Waltz
and Daniel Henney as Philip. And it is exactly
what I craved. Due to my discs sticking at one point I missed some important things but here are the basics. We have:
1. Fake!daughter who is mixed up with Real!Evil!daughter and placed with lovely people for about 12 years. Well, they're lovely till they find out she's not their real daughter and then they get all conflicted and allow her to go back to her real mother and forget about her while they live in the US for years
2. Fake!brother. Let me tell you, I was relieved when the reveal about the parentage of his Fake!Sister (aka Fake!daughter) came through because there was some fairly intense 12 year old lusting after his sister before then. It made me feel a bit unwell and twitchy watching it, but apparently I was not supposed to be horrified by the incest taboo being less potent than it should be because they were not really related
3. Some new guy who pops up when they are adults and is a playboy. I shall call him Playboy, of course. He manages to get the heroine fired after making her become his personal maid in a hotel and then mauling her. He then gets her reinstated in a way that makes everyone think they are sleeping together (well, think it even more). I am, I believe, supposed supposed to find him a bit madcap and charming and also feel sorry for him because his stepmother hates him and we see his dad slap him. He does get plus points for not having been reared for 12 years as the heroine's brother but not for a lot else.
4. Other Woman. I think she's nice, but it's early days yet. Sometimes they lull you into a false sense of security before unleashing the horrors of Other Woman machinations on you.
5. Random parents and evil other brother of the heroine. He used to be a thug but hurt his hand and now is focused on getting the heroine to go out with Older Man who I think is a gangster. He also beats the heroine for good measure because that's the sort of person he is.
6. Evil!Real!Daughter. I haven't met her as an adult yet, but she was pretty nasty as a kid, so I think she'll have matured into a fine monster
In talks last night calixa
and myself vowed to write the ultimate kdrama. It will be called Seasons of Pain
(alternatively translated as Times of Agony
and Endless Moments of Woe
). It will be set in four different time periods and involve an endlessly reincarnated OTP who keep dying of various illnesses and causes. There will be at least 7 love triangles, multiple cases of amnesia, two types of terminal illness, death in the snow, death at the beach, etc. Rain will at one point star as a cabaret singer in Japanese occupied Korea whom the heroine must spy on and falls in love with only to find out he is her half-brother. They will then go and die in a field of yellow blossoms as swelling music plays and the audience weeps. Oh, and that random white guy who speaks Korean from Stairway to Heaven
will show up. Because it's an international cast. And there will be a tough, conflicted homicide cop who is the son of a gangster who falls in love with a nun who runs an orphanage.
IT WILL BE THE KDRAMA TO END ALL KDRAMAS.